Re: [LAU] MIDI note input by rhythm?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Jan 14 2013 - 11:30:49 EET

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:13:42 +0100, Angel de Vicente <angelv@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:45:49 +0100, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> I believe Rosegarden has an option to change the note timings etc to
>>> match a
>>> rhythm track? I think you record the rhythm track by pressing a key
>>> on your
>>> keyboard to indicate beat changes, then RG can adjust the tempo and
>>> such on
>>> the other track to match.
>>> Haven't tried it myself, though.
>>
>> I don't know if Rosegarden has got such an option, maybe. Or does
>> Rosegarden
>> provide an option to press a note or notes on a MIDI keyboard + to
>> e.g. push
>> the space bar (as often as needed). The space bar then would cause the
>> sequencer to play and record with each step, for a defined time, 1/4,
>> 1/8 etc.?
>
> What I'm looking for is actually a way not to give notes a defined
> time. I want to be able to simulate a "live" playing scenario, when each
> note is going to have durations that certainly are not going to be exact
> time durations (1/4, 1/2, etc.), but I lack the keyboard abilities to
> input a moderately complex piece this way, hence my search for a
> two-step solution, where first I enter the notes, and then I only have
> to worry about the duration of the notes, by pressing the same keyboard
> key repeatedly, but hopefully, listening to the previously entered
> notes, for feedback. I think this would allow for a really easy way to
> create more musical MIDI performances (the alternative of tweaking
> durations via the sequencer is what I do now, but it takes a lot of
> time...).

Pardon a misunderstanding. This is an option proprietary software usually
does provide in a way, that you give exact time durations for the edited
notes, but you then record the tempo with tempo changes, resp. timing
variation by tapping a key. Perhaps some FLOSS sequencer does provide it
nowadays too.

--
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64