Re: [LAU] Marian Trace Out 8/16?

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2013 - 05:01:13 EET

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> It would be a try it and see. In general though, most internal interfaces
> are already pretty good sound wise and a lot offer 7.1 sound. What are you
> expecting this card to do for you that an internal card would not? Are you
> doing digital crossovers? (The only thing I can think of for so many
> outputs)

I can't speak for the OP, but large scale playback systems
using spatialization techniques such as Higher Order Ambisonics or Wave
Field Synthesis require this many outputs (and potentially a lot more).
 But really any distributed playback system that goes beyond the limits of
consumer-oriented 5.1 or 7.1 standards would take advantage of having a
higher number of outputs, especially if multiple cards can be chained and
synced. For the price, these cards look to be an economical solution for
such a use case.