Re: [LAU] debugging conflicts Pulseaudio/Jack

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2013 - 16:54:38 EET

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:30:18 +0100, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, January 18, 2013 3:18 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> I'm not affected, since I
>> neither use pulseaudio nor systemd.
>
> Yet you are an expert on all things about them both, I am amazed :)

No and I don't have anything against systemd, when it's automatically
installed and set up by a distro.
Regarding to pulseaudio I'm also not an expert, I only know many people
who tested Linux and then decided to use Windows, because of pulseaudio
issues.

>> This is a
>> running gag. How about removing pulseaudio? It's good for nothing!
>
> Good for nothing that you do. There are some people who need it and need
> to be able to connect it to jack. There are certainly people who are
> better of with no pulse.

If it's good for people they should use it. Why are the pulseaudio users
whining if it's good for them?

>> Jack
>> and ALSA are working very good without pulseaudio.
>
> To say Jack and alsa have no bugs is not really correct either. Is it
> software? it has bugs.

I didn't claim that there are no bugs, I suffer from several bugs myself,
but ALSA and JACK are anyway good, they are very good. They don't cause
such issues as pulseaudio does, arts or any other sound server never did
cause such much issues as pulseaudio does. Pulseaudio is the only hard
dependency of them, ALSA, JACK, ARTS etc. are/were optional.

>> Strange that stable
>> distro releases have it as a hard dependency. Is pulseaudio really
>> important again on jack devel and Linux audio lists? When will this ever
>> stop? Beta software for the basic parts of the OS simply shouldn't be
>> used
>> for stable environments.
>
> I see announcements for alpha software on here often, whats the problem?

An alpha, beta ... sequencer or what ever isn't needed for basics of the
OS. If Qtractor shouldn't work it's ok, if audio is broken regarding to a
buggy hard dependency it's something completely different.

Regards,
Ralf

--
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64