Re: [LAU] Sample rate vs. SNR

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2013 - 17:17:55 EET

On Sat, January 26, 2013 1:41 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 18:03 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I was surprised at the large number of different
>> PAL standards in the link you gave for that.
>
> I'm surprised myself and didn't read the English Wiki.
>
> Btw. all the times I've seen television from former Yugoslavia
> countries, at least gypsy television, audio was distorted.
>
> When somebody from a German night show made a joke about Turkish
> television, they add distortion to the sound.
>
> I wonder if the engineers in those countries are idiots, or if there
> should be a technically reason for the distorted audio signals.

The audio carriers are at different frequency offset from the main
carrier... depending on the type of PAL (maybe NTSC too, but there are
only two countries I can receive from and our standards are the same) SO
there may even be some sources where you get no audio. South America has a
PAL/NTSC mix, but the PAL is 60hz so it sort of works no matter which
receiver you use. (this probably has something to do with why PAL is more
popular than SECAM) It was interesting to find out the the same company
now owns all three companies that developed the three standards.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net