Re: [LAU] Audio Interface for live Processing

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 27 2013 - 22:20:22 EET

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Saul Rayson <saul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Thanks Len some great information here.
>
>>Jack won't start lower?
>
> Yes, Jack just won't start on lower buffer sizes with internal sound. Not
> really a problem. just for testing.

Did you try 48k / 3 periods/buffer?

Also, is 10ms really so bad? I guess it depends what you are using it
for, but 10ms from pressing a keyboard to getting a note out is not so
bad at all - within the realms of analogue organ response times, I
think.. If you need to feed audio in and have near-zero latency, that
is a different matter..

For my live setup (virtual synth-rack) I am planning to rely on the
internal sound - at least in initial (rehearsal) tests.. Not too
worried as long as latency is <25ms and xrun-free.

>>For live work, Guitar effects, soft synths, etc. USB 1.1 at 16bit/48k may
>>work just fine
>
> My experience with USB audio is limited, but USB 1 on mac, for live
> processing, I have found to have unusable latency.

Latency in 1.1 vs usb 2 shouldn't be significantly different as I
understand it. usb 2 just allows higher bandwidth - so more channels
or 24bit vs 16bit. Just depends on whether the interface is properly
supported in linux.

> I will probably update this computer at some point and convert all my
> personal recordings to a Linux based system. My main reason for the thinkpad
> was for gigs and live processing, so I am thinking a USB 2 audio interface
> is what I'll go for.

Yes - I just got a scarlett 2i4 and heartily recommend it - although
haven't stress-tested it much yet. Quality seems very good!

Be careful though - not all usb2 devices are supported in linux..

Re: firewire - there was some discussion here a year or so back that
it might be being slowly discontinued - fewer laptops having as
standard etc, and most consumer interfaces moving to usb2.

James