Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 18:26:24 EET

My main complaint is not really about Linux, per se, but the whole DAW, etc.,
scene: Lack of interoperability!

I have a lot of Cakewalk files from the Windows days. Cannot do anything with
them besides play two tracks in Cakewalk-Express using WINE.

I have bought the Harrison Mix Deck (based on Ardour), but I need to be able
to integerate MIDI tools for which one of the other really good Linux DAWs
work better. And so on ...

In Windows, we do not really have sooo much choice. Maybe the "Big 3" and one
chooses one and lives with it. Linux affords much more choice but the choices
may be more specialized, have more distinctive strengths and weaknesses.

BTW, this is a professional list. Maybe I am showing my advanced age and
sensitivities but in my day, "sucks" was considered an expletive. Do we really
need to use such language among our colleagues?