Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 16:02:38 EET

On 02/07/2013 12:19 AM, david wrote:
>> One could be a professional with/without skills and/or an hobbyist
>> with/without skills, no matter who you are you need apps which doesn't
>> turn sound engineer or a guitar player or composer into a *nix OS
>> student.
>

> I'm sorry, but if you're a professional, *you know how to use your
> tools*. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know which end of a
> hammer to use for driving a nail, or hauled out a chainsaw for doing
> some fine veneer work while building a cabinet? What would you think
> of a guitarist who never learned to set up their Fancy Big Stomp Box
> because of all those "technical" things like sustain or reverb, etc?
> "I just want to make sounds! Why do I have to know the difference
> between sustain and reverb? I should be able to get what I want
> without having to do anything!" ;-)

Conversely, I know a couple of guitarists who have NO idea how to do a
setup or neck adjustment on their guitar, and don't even own a soldering
iron or even care to know how to fix a cable.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]