Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 09:38:23 EET

On 02/07/2013 04:02 AM, Al Thompson wrote:
> On 02/07/2013 12:19 AM, david wrote:
>>> One could be a professional with/without skills and/or an hobbyist
>>> with/without skills, no matter who you are you need apps which doesn't
>>> turn sound engineer or a guitar player or composer into a *nix OS
>>> student.
>>

>> I'm sorry, but if you're a professional, *you know how to use your
>> tools*. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know which end of a
>> hammer to use for driving a nail, or hauled out a chainsaw for doing
>> some fine veneer work while building a cabinet? What would you think
>> of a guitarist who never learned to set up their Fancy Big Stomp Box
>> because of all those "technical" things like sustain or reverb, etc?
>> "I just want to make sounds! Why do I have to know the difference
>> between sustain and reverb? I should be able to get what I want
>> without having to do anything!" ;-)
>>

> Conversely, I know a couple of guitarists who have NO idea how to do a
> setup or neck adjustment on their guitar,

Sheesh! I can play guitar but I'm not a real guitarist- and I did that
kind of stuff to my electric guitar (when I had one)!

> and don't even own a soldering
> iron or even care to know how to fix a cable.

Yah, our lead guitarist is just like that. All he knows how to do is
break'em.

I have a soldering iron and can solder, but I don't feel up to risking
my skills on either of the keyboards I use!

Fortunately, our rhythm guitarist's day job is electronics tech.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden