Re: [LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 07:53:05 EET

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 12:15 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen
> <jostein@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

> * A very geeky community. I see very often the answer:
> "read the ALSA matrix" when a poor newbie or a
> curious person asks for the best soundcards for Linux.
> That something works in Linux does not mean
> that it's good for AUDIO recording and studio work
> in general.
>

> so how does this look?
>

> http://ardour.org/files/aspecs.png

It's disgusting, regarding to similar recommendations I bought my
RME HDSPe AIO, but my HDSPe AIO can't be used for >= 12 channels, since
it's not completely supported for Linux.

To recommend hardware that isn't supported is bad :(.

Btw. as I mentioned several times before, RME was willing to help, but
no ALSA developer was interested to answer any request.

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 21:19 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > so how does this look?
> >
> > http://ardour.org/files/aspecs.png
>
> As a Focusrite Saffire 24 user who needs to start JACK twice every
> time and, since Ubuntu 12.10, restart every 30 minutes, I'd think
> before recommending it to a Linux user :) Absolutely love their
> hardware and their attitude to clients though.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

That's why I ask how to ensure what audio device _really_ is supported.
The _recommended_ device I own isn't _really_ supported. HDSPe cards are
recommended for >= 12 channels, but on Linux I only can use 2 ADAT IOs
of the HDSPe AIO, the other ADAT IOs aren't available and the latency is
very bad, but I anyway get xruns.

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 18:42 +0100, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen
> <jostein@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>

> > > * A very geeky community. I see very often the answer:
> > > "read the ALSA matrix" when a poor newbie or a
> > > curious person asks for the best soundcards for Linux.
> > > That something works in Linux does not mean
> > > that it's good for AUDIO recording and studio work
> > > in general.
> > >

> > so how does this look?
> >
> > http://ardour.org/files/aspecs.png
>

> Very nice, this is a very good answer, let's hope that this URL will be
> anywhere! This is helpful for me too as I'm investing in new HW this
> days, thanks! :-)

Not very good, simply untrue!

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 20:56 +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:
> In Linux Audio excellent response I get from Rui on his Qtractor

I experienced the same :).

Regards,
Ralf