Re: [LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 08:20:28 EET

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 12:34 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, February 5, 2013 8:10 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >> How do you ensure that an audio device _really_ is supported?
> >>

> > Hi Ralf,
> >
> > Well, since I don't really know what you really mean by "really"
> > supported, I'll hazard my own method:
> >
> > if (device != FIREWIRE_DEVICE)
> > check (ALSA && 4Front)
> > print status
> > else
> > check FFADO
> > print status
> > endif
> >
> > Wrt USB: The snd-usb-audio module is an ALSA module, but class
> > compliance makes things a little more difficult. My method wrt USB
> > compatibility is to ask Clemens. :)
>
> Most good music stores will let you try before buying. I take my computer
> right into the store and plug things in. It does mean I don't buy stuff
> that requires extra tweaks... just stuff that "just works".
>
> This approach also lets those who run these stores know linux users are
> out there and that they do buy based on "works with linux".

In Germany there aren't much stores, but anyway, if you order hardware,
you can give it back and then you get your money back.

But that does mean that you always need to completely test the hardware
when you buy it, something that isn't always possible. I bought my card,
but completely tested it a year after I bought it.

Regards,
Ralf