Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 13:50:41 EET

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:38 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I do realize that I sound pig-headed, but a license is an agreement.
>> If you didn't sign one, how can you possibly violate the terms?
>>
>> "3. The Licensee has no permission to sell, licence, give-away and/or
>> distribute the Licensed Software Developer Kit or parts of it in any
>> way, on any medium, including the Internet, to any other person,
>> including sub-licensors of the Licensee or companies where the
>> Licensee has any involvement. This includes re-working this
>> specification, or reverse-engineering any products based upon this
>> specification."
>>
>> The Licensee, Dave, is someone who has been granted a licence.
>>

> Using something without agreeing to the terms (licence) under which the
> provider of that something offers it is theft. "Of course I can steal and
> use your $50000 software: I never agreed to your license!" "Of course I can
> steal and use your car: I never agreed that it's yours!"

as has been patiently explained, vestige is a CLEAN ROOM reverse engineered
version of VST, that was created by someone who did NOT download the VST
SDK, did not USE the VST SDK to develop it, did not obtain anything from
steinberg to develop it.

making a parallel with theft is borderline offensive. do you not understand
what the term "clean room reverse engineering" means?

now of course, you're free to allege that vestige could not have been or
was not developed in "clean room" style, but that is an entirely separate
claim.