Re: [LAU] jackdbus eating 100% cpu after a while

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 09 2013 - 14:11:31 EET

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Florian Paul Schmidt
<mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was a long term jackd1 user and my first action on a new linux
> installation (mostly using Ubuntu) was normally to remove pulseaudio as it
> was badly configured and/or buggy. Things have changed and I really started
> to like PA for everyday stuff. And then jackdbus came along which together
> with the device reservation API and the jackd sinks promised to make using
> these two things together more easy. This mostly works fine, except for the
> device reservation bug in PA which is easy to work around though:
>
> - Make sure no audio process is actively using the soundcard you want jackd
> to use
> - Run pulseaudio -k
> - Run jack_control start
>

> I have noticed some issues with jackdbus though:
>
> a] jack_control start sometimes doesn't work at all after the first time it
> failed to aquire the device. A killall -9 jackdbus is in order to restore it
>
> b] after some hours of operation jackdbus starts to eat 100% cpu on two of
> my four cores.
>
> Are these known issues? I use Ubuntu 12.10 and jackd:

Hi Flo,

I am also running Ubuntu 12.10 and using jackdbus. It is really nice
for things like playing along to youtube videos.. On my computer, I
noticed that jack does have a tendency to lockup after a while when
jackdbus is running. I had the feeling that it might be something to
do with latency, as I found it is impossible to start jack at very low
latencies with jackdbus running. I was using 128 samples which seemed
to be OK, but at that latency, the lockups occurred after some time. I
tried increasing latency to 256 samples/44.1k. Following this, it
seems to operate fine (at least I have had no more dropouts), but it
is all a bit fiddly to get it to work properly, and I would probably
disable pulse if I wanted to do serious recording etc without the
mixing capabilities that jackdbus adds..

James