Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: <gerald.mwangi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 02:59:17 EET
What sucks about linux audio? Well first what doesn't suck: We have choise, we have customizability (in all senses of the word), endless possibilities (routing, effects). Good!
What sucks: the workflow does not feel organic! Can you say that bringing down an idea alone with multiple instruments (sequentially recording all instruments, including synths) to disk is as easy as recording it with a band on an 8track machine? No! And just saying that it is not possible with other OS's is no excuse. The linux audio experience has to feel like just picking up an instrument (complex synths included) and a band to jam in the idea. And I don't mean a good experience with each individual program, but an excellent experience with the whole ecosystem of programs in conjunction. The whole ecosystem of audio programs has to feel as one unit while at the same time each program stands out.  I think all programs
 a) have to be easily understood as aspects of the whole, and also
b) stand out individually.
Session management and JACK aid to point a) and different GUI's/looks and lv2 aid to point b) for instance.
But, and this a big but: as I don't need nor want documentation to get a tone out of my guitar/ my voice, I don't want documentation to handle linux audio! The whole ecosystem has to be integrated and simple to be operated at the ease of a few clicks with no prior knowledge! To the same extent as it is open to all. That is clearly not the case on linux. And again, its not the case anywhere else. This can be done only with linux audio as it is open.
Gerald

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad