Re: [LAU] Fuck your sexism

From: James Mckernon <jmckernon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 22:49:28 EET

If I may weigh in:

I agree that there has been some overreaction on the list about this
wallpaper (notably, the first email in this particular thread, and
possibly the person who originally brought it up, who was perhaps
exaggerating slightly when he described it as "hentai paedo-porn" or
similar.) However, I do think the image is, if not offensive per se,
certainly borderline inappropriate for inclusion in a distro.

I think that including an image of a 'hot' female tacitly sends the
message that those who are viewing it are likely to be (heterosexual)
males, i.e., that this is a 'boy's space'. Non-gynophile users (that
is, those who aren't attracted to women) are, in my view, likely to
read in it, albeit subtly, the message that they're not as welcome
here as they might be. This is, if you ask me, the last thing we need.
And although there is a rationale and justifying context to the image
(the noted connections to open source licensing etc.), this isn't
clear to those viewing the image, and hence doesn't really mitigate
the possible exclusionary effect.

In more general terms: a glance at
http://terriblelinuxwallpaper.tumblr.com/ (not necessarily safe for
work) is, in my view, fairly instructive on this issue. Check the
ratio of desktops featuring hot girls to those featuring hot guys.
Make of it what you will, but to me it suggests that linux culture
could stand to be somewhat more inclusive and egalitarian -
particularly when an image along these lines is included by default in
a distro.

My tuppence.

Cheers,