[LAU] Session manager: what about?

From: Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 17:00:05 EET

Hi,
I write to ask about session manager solutions. I use ladish for 1 year
and these days I'm trying jack-session (using qjackctl) to see how differs.

I hear about non-session but never used.

Which is, in your opinion, the best solution actually?

Here my newbie considerations:

ladish
------
pro:
- I can execute also unsupported applications (level 0)
- integrated patch UI (gladish)
- extra-features like rooms (state?)

cons:
- I need to write manually app name (command) when create a new studio
- I need to "remember" options to my applications to save presets or similar

jack-session
------------
pro:
- save the state of current jack applications, without write a single
command

cons:
- unsupported application are not executed when session is opened
- lacks of features as rooms or grouping

I know may be some of cons are about the actual UI instead of session
manager itself.

Because I use occasionally music production software, my first
requirement is to save the session in terms of connections and opened
applications, and then reopen with 1-click.

And, finally, I often like to include non-audio applications in the
session (let's say editor to annotate).

At the moment, since few applications support jack-session, I think to
continue to use ladish. But I found really boring write each time
commands application when creating a new session.

Any tips? Thanks!

Ivan

PS
I would like to use current qjackctl session-manager + a DE session
manager, but I haven't found a tool to save and open named session with
a list of current application... I'm thinking about writing myself