Re: [LAU] kernel changes

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 16:42:35 EET

On Sun, February 10, 2013 5:05 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, February 10, 2013 3:03 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
>> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> Ok, so what I get from this is that the CPU sees a PCIe device in the
>> same
>> way it sees a PCI device. Yet I know from reading the specs on both the
>> PCI to PCIe bridge and the MB chip sets, that there is some firmware
>> involved at both ends.
>
> that would likely be in the chipset that interacts with the bus. device
> drivers for particular PCI(.) devices do not interact with this level of
> hardware (in general).

Ya, that was what I was thinking.

>> How much all of this interacts I don't know. What I do
>> see is a lot of brand new MBs that handle sound badly.
>>
> i don't know of any MBs that in and of themselves handle sound badly
> (these
> days, anyway). the problems come from a different set of levels (a few
> notes on this (to be expanded):
> http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-your-system/the-right-computer-system-for-digital-audio/

Nice page. Simple, but a good base for study. (just google everything in
there) From reading the HP proliant RT Docs I am guessing most audio work
is not as picky about lowlatency as the stock exchange. They suggest
things that will help but void your warranty.

I found out USB keyboards/mice are bad. Hyperthreading is bad (how do I
turn that off?) How many new MB come with USB as the only keyboard/rodent
input?

It appears that CPU speed control needs to be turned off both in bios as
well as in the OS.

Stay away from allinone CPU/audio/video chips which are SMI hell.

I have to try some of these things...

Anyway, it seems that the big thing with a computer hw upgrade is there
needs to be a lowlatency audit every time. (OS does not matter, this would
be the same for win/OSx)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net