Re: [LAU] kernel changes

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 16:57:01 EET

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:31:47 -0800
"Len Ovens" <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, February 10, 2013 12:52 pm, Folderol wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:14:32 -0800

> >> so

> >> for
> > I'll connect it up sometime during the week and give this a try. FWIW my
> > soundcard is a venerable 2496

Having been laid low by a cold, I eventually got bored and had a look at this
again.

I'm running only 64bit OSs on a quad core AMD. The MOBO is an Asus one with a
uefi bios. I can't find anything on that bios that is relevant to irq or
tweakable in any way that might benefit sound.

I only have one PCI slot, and the soundcard comes out at irq20 which is below
the usb irqs (interestingly the on-board sound is above usb).
As a side issue I'm wondering if this fact is causing very occasional Xruns
from ALSA - When I say occasional, I mean maybe once or twice in an entire
afternoon session.

Double-checking again. The 3.2 kernel behaviour is appalling, regardless of
whether I use the vanilla one of the RT one, 3.1 is smooth as silk.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk