Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 21:04:33 EET

On 02/13/2013 09:37 AM, drew Roberts wrote:

>> It's hardly easy to make money by SELLING what is available for FREE.
>> Sure, it happens. There are a few places on the internet where you can
>> pay to download something (like an owner's manual) that is available FOR
>> FREE on the manufacturer's website. Since the manufacturer in this case
>> makes it available for free, they aren't really ripping off the
>> manufacturer, but I'd say they are ripping off the consumer.
> So, those Penguin folks are ripping off the consumer? I mean, you could
> download the books from Project Gutenberg right? Should someone alert the
> authorities that they are ripping off the consumers?
>
> Here is a point you are ignoring. If you can't make money selling things that
> are legal to copy and that can be obtained for free. How can you make money
> selling things that are illegal to copy but are also available for free via
> download however illegally? How do people sell knokcoff CDs and DVDs when
> they are available as free downloads?

Well, the Pengiun folks are breaking a law, since the things they copy
are public domain. They are not infringing any copyrights, and are not
making use of someone's property illegally. Are they "ripping people
off?" I don't know. Go ask their customers if they knew they could
have gotten all of that legally for free.

From what I've seen, people buy pirated DVDs because they either don't
have a DVD burner, or they believe that it is safer to buy it for cash
at some flea market where there is no paper trail leading to them.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]