Re: [LAU] Changed: Copyright laws and such

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 21:18:47 EET

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 13:59:30 Al Thompson wrote:

> >> You are falling into Kinsella's trap of believing that only hard goods
> >> have value.
> >
> > Of course not. I am speaking of fashion designs, not of the clothes made
> > from the designs.
> >
> > Just like I would be talking about a song or a recording of a song and
> > not a CD of the recordings.
>
> I haven't paid any attention to copyright as it has been applied to
> "fashions" or clothing, but a brief search gives thousands of hits of
> "counterfeit" purses and shoes coming out of China, which are then
> confiscated when they are found at various countries' port of entry. It
> would seem that somehow those fashions are copyrighted by the designer.

I am fairly sure it is the logos and other trademarks that are causing the
problem hereand not the designs of the clothes and bags.

There are articles about this around.

Here is one resource I found with a quick search:

http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakley_lessons_from_fashion_s_free_culture.html

And here is another:

http://c4sif.org/2011/07/christopher-sprigman-on-ip-and-the-fashion-industry/

all the best,