Re: [LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 23:41:06 EET

On 02/13/2013 10:58 AM, John Murphy wrote:
> I've installed Ubuntu Studio 13.04. It has a real time version
> of the latest kernel and I quite like the XFCE desktop, although
> I'm more used to KDE. It boots from Grub in about seven seconds,
> which is remarkable.
>
> But I use one installation for all and I really need proprietary
> Nvidia drivers. Preferably version 310. I've tried installing
> 'nvidia-current' which provides v304, but doesn't work. An 'apport'
> problem is mentioned in the (Synaptic) details during install and
> the 'Nvidia Settings' widget reports no working driver installed
> and to try running 'sudo nvidia-config' (or something like that)
> which I tried. Even tried copying a known good xorg.conf from my
> currently working KDE (12.04). On a previous attempt I tried most
> variations of 310 and something from an xorg-edgers ppa.

Perhaps the closed driver needs to be installed when X is not running?
Try from a text login?

> I've had similar problems before, requiring various blacklisting
> of Nouveau and certain framebuffer drivers, but before I try that;
> is there some other possible reason why ubuntu-studio 13.04 or
> XFCE isn't likely to work with (closed) nvidia drivers?

XFCE shouldn't care a bit about which video driver you use; it's just
using X. I've used XFCE on closed NVidia drivers (not the version you're
talking about) without any problems. Installed them using Synaptic with
no problems.

Can't answer for Ubuntu 13, though. Ubuntu's Unity interface tries to do
what I consider fancy stuff for the desktop UI, so it might be more
sensitive to drivers. (Like KDE4 in that area, I think.)

But I think if you can't even get X to run the driver in the first place
(boot to a text login, login and run "startx"), you haven't even gotten
to the point where XFCE or the Ubuntu UI is trying to use it.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden