[LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

From: John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 22:58:23 EET

I've installed Ubuntu Studio 13.04. It has a real time version
of the latest kernel and I quite like the XFCE desktop, although
I'm more used to KDE. It boots from Grub in about seven seconds,
which is remarkable.

But I use one installation for all and I really need proprietary
Nvidia drivers. Preferably version 310. I've tried installing
'nvidia-current' which provides v304, but doesn't work. An 'apport'
problem is mentioned in the (Synaptic) details during install and
the 'Nvidia Settings' widget reports no working driver installed
and to try running 'sudo nvidia-config' (or something like that)
which I tried. Even tried copying a known good xorg.conf from my
currently working KDE (12.04). On a previous attempt I tried most
variations of 310 and something from an xorg-edgers ppa.

I've had similar problems before, requiring various blacklisting
of Nouveau and certain framebuffer drivers, but before I try that;
is there some other possible reason why ubuntu-studio 13.04 or
XFCE isn't likely to work with (closed) nvidia drivers?

Anyone got it working with 310.n driver who could provide hints?

Thanks.

--
John.