Re: [LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 23:48:02 EET

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
Subject: Re: [LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:42:00 +0100

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 20:58 +0000, John Murphy wrote:
> I've installed Ubuntu Studio 13.04. It has a real time version
> of the latest kernel and I quite like the XFCE desktop, although
> I'm more used to KDE. It boots from Grub in about seven seconds,
> which is remarkable.
>
> But I use one installation for all and I really need proprietary
> Nvidia drivers. Preferably version 310. I've tried installing
> 'nvidia-current' which provides v304, but doesn't work. An 'apport'
> problem is mentioned in the (Synaptic) details during install and
> the 'Nvidia Settings' widget reports no working driver installed
> and to try running 'sudo nvidia-config' (or something like that)
> which I tried. Even tried copying a known good xorg.conf from my
> currently working KDE (12.04). On a previous attempt I tried most
> variations of 310 and something from an xorg-edgers ppa.
>
> I've had similar problems before, requiring various blacklisting
> of Nouveau and certain framebuffer drivers, but before I try that;
> is there some other possible reason why ubuntu-studio 13.04 or
> XFCE isn't likely to work with (closed) nvidia drivers?
>
> Anyone got it working with 310.n driver who could provide hints?
>
> Thanks.

Hi John :)

I've got difficulties to completely understand your whole mail, perhaps
regarding to my broken English.

However, the windows managers and desktop environments might need 3D
support and similar things, if you're using special desktop effects, so
it can be, that a desktop environments needs this, e.g. 3D acceleration,
as being provided, but it's provided by X (for some users perhaps by
Wayland instead of X).

For your Ubuntu Studio Xfce shouldn't need 3D acceleration or any other
special option.

Xfce can be used with or without the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

What kernel do you run exactly? What's the output of
uname -a
?

If it's a PREEMPT RT, than it's very likely that the proprietary driver
can't be used with the kernel.

If it's a full PREEMPT kernel with threadirqs activated, the proprietary
driver should work.

Any output for
$ grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
?