Re: [LAU] More jack woes

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 03:11:32 EET

> Exactly. Audacity has no need of jack... or low latency. It is a tool that
> is very good at what it does... record audio, not track over track, just
> record. It does not need low latency, it can do any effects in the
> application. It is and audio editor, cut/paste/morf audio. but not always
> real time. It is not a good tool to listen to one track/set of tracks
> while recording more. If you wish to do that use ardour. It will set up
> and run jack for you with reasonable defaults for your first use. You can
> lower the latency on the fly if you need to, all from ardour's menus. Good
> place to start.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

Thanks for the comments, Lee. I don't know why you think that audacity
isn't up to the task? I've used it to do multi track stuff in the past
without issues. And, I've tried ardour in the past ... and this is not
a criticism of ardour, but most likely a comment on my brain size ...
but I really couldn't get it to work. Perhaps if I had more experience
with DAWs I'd be a lot happier with it. As it is, I use audacity to
play back a track (background) while I record myself playing my horn.
Easy.

Best,

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****