Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 06:09:47 EET

On 02/13/2013 02:26 PM, drew Roberts wrote:

>> Well, the Pengiun folks are breaking a law, since the things they copy
>> are public domain.
> Is it safe to assume that that is a typo and you meant they are not breaking
> the law since those works are in the public domain?

Yes, that's a safe, and correct, assumption!!! Dang it!

>> They are not infringing any copyrights, and are not
>> making use of someone's property illegally.
> When did the book go from being the property of Dickens or his heirs to being
> the property of the public? Does a bit of land work that way? Or a sofa?

I would have to research Dickens' works, but I know that at one time,
copyrights were issued for a fixed term of years (17 comes to mind), and
could be renewed once. Then the laws were changed so that a copyright
was good for some number of years after an author's death.

> How can the Penguin folks make money printing and selling these books when any
> other company anywhere in the world can do the same without paying them a
> fee?

Maybe there's not a market for it, since the material is available for free.

>> From what I've seen, people buy pirated DVDs because they either don't
>> have a DVD burner, or they believe that it is safer to buy it for cash
>> at some flea market where there is no paper trail leading to them.
> So, why do they buy from the people who do not support the artists they like
> rather then from the people who do support the artists they like? What drives
> them to do this to bands they love?

They probably buy from the pirates for the reasons I stated, plus the
fact that the pirates sell their pirated DVDs for $5. Everyone claims
to love a particular band and their music, but nobody considers that by
buying the pirated DVD or CD, they are denying their "favorite artist"
whatever income they should have gotten from the sale of that CD/DVD.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]