Re: [LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

From: John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 06:59:45 EET

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:23:00 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Wed, February 13, 2013 5:54 pm, John Murphy wrote:
>
> > That's what I would have expected. Possibly the 'studio' parts are
> > causing the problem then (in that I probably don't have the right
> > linux-headers or something similar).
>
> Studio is xubuntu with extra apps. The kernel is the same as the generic
> kernel (used for all the other buntus) with one different parameter for
> lowlatency. I think you can even take the generic kernel and add the param
> at boot time. I could be wrong, we did try that at one time... just pre
> 12.04 ish so the generic may have changed, zequence in the #ubuntustudio
> IRC channel should know what the differences are these days. An easy test
> though is just to install the generic kernel on top of studio. You would
> then be able to boot either one.

Well I just tried an Xubuntu 13.04 'daily' build and, similarly to Ubuntu,
I got a login prompt without X running and installed nvidia-310-dev, which
works OK. It takes ages, compared to Studio, to boot from Grub to login
though, so there's some magic under the hood of the Studio version I think.

The glx-alternative-nvidia package I mentioned was a red herring. (Sorry
if that doesn't translate well Ralph - a false lead. :)) It gets marked
as broken in Xubuntu too.

I'll try re-installing Studio, but only boot to a rescue prompt next.
It's always so hard to get a run level with everything <X on *buntu.

Thanks.