Re: [LAU] 32 vs 64 bit distro?

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 11:38:36 EET

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 February 2013 04:09:44 Rustom Mody did opine:

> > > What difficulties? I run both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, and have no
> > > difficulties with either one.
> >
> > I have a Canon printer that runs on my 32 bit desktop
> > Ive not yet got it running on my new 64 bit laptop
> > [Note: Canon supplies 32 and 64 bit rpms but only 32 bit debs]
>
> "alien" should fix that.

Alien is the option I first used when I got the printer years ago and it
worked then
Thereafter canon started supplying debs. So far so good in the 32-bit world.

Come the 64-bit era and I find there are only 32 bit debs.
So alien was the first option I tried. It did not work.
The two other options are
- compile from source
- use 32 bit deb with ia32

The first did not go through. I have to try harder I guess
The second Ive not yet tried