Re: [LAU] 32 vs 64 bit distro?

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 12:10:44 EET

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 02/13/2013 09:36 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden
>> <mailto:gnome@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/04/2013 11:29 PM, James Stone wrote:
>>
>> Is there any advantage in using a 64 bit distro for audio? Do the
>> advantages outweigh the difficulties?
>>
>> I'm expecting a new computer to be delivered today and am trying
>> decide what to install...
>>
>> What difficulties? I run both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, and have no
>> difficulties with either one.
>>
>> I have a Canon printer that runs on my 32 bit desktop
>> Ive not yet got it running on my new 64 bit laptop
>> [Note: Canon supplies 32 and 64 bit rpms but only 32 bit debs]

Just to update - I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu studio 64, and
haven't had any major problems. The only issue was with the Brother
print driver, for which I had to install the i32 compat libraries.

I also found that UT2004 isn't really working properly any more, but I
am not sure whether that is a 32 vs 64bit issue, or because of
old/outdated libraries. I think I will probably end out just running
it under wine if I decide I really want to play it!

James