Re: [LAU] Some new Bach

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 14:39:56 EET

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> So I had a holiday in paradise. Meaning: I was surrounded by a very good
> friend, loads of vintage equipment and Ardour3. And I am grateful for all
> three. So I used a few minutes to record another piece of Bach. It's the B
> Minor prelude (once again) played on an ARP Pro Soloist (trumpet) and an
> ARP Oddysey. Unfortunately I had to spread my arms to the left and right
> playing the piece. So the performance is not as good, as you might wish.
> Still it was an experience I loved and so I'm sharing, hoping that a few
> gear nerds might get something out of it.
> http://juliencoder.de/bach/BWV869A-Prelude_in_B_Minor-Synth_Version.ogg

Thanks Julien.
Very cute.
Loved it (and love you)

As for the other comments:
I have been so Bach-afflicted that 'pedestrian' leaves me too incredulous
to be offended.
Personally, Ive for years belonged to the class of people who consider that
music starts with Bach and ends with Beethoven. Bach because he is God and
Beethoven because He is a man.

However of late after discovering this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_A._Tomatis
Ive been rethinking my affliction/addiction.
Tomatis uses music -- mostly Mozart -- to help learning-disabled and other
cases out of their psycho-problems. And he makes these interesting
observations:
1. Most kids with learning disabilities actually have hearing disability
2. Mozart activates the middle-ear and therefore helps learning disability
3. Beethoven(?) and Bach activate the inner ear and so are not much good
for communication

And so looking at myself now I find I am irritable (Beethoven-effect) and
autistic (Bach-effect). If I had got into Mozart a little more in my
formative years it may have been good for me.

And so Ralf:

> It's just important to go the way that's close to what you want, this
> will make you happy.

If that is your experience, I respect it.
My own experience is that it is sometimes better to make oneself love what
one knows should be loved, rather than keep following one's instincts.