Re: [LAU] 32 vs 64 bit distro?

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 23:49:33 EET

> Is there any advantage in using a 64 bit distro for audio? Do the
> advantages outweigh the difficulties?

For what I do, live MIDI synthesis, the advantages do outweigh the
difficulties. First of all, when I compile application source, I
compile -march=native -mtune=native. This gives significant performance
increases. I don't know what would happen if I tried that on a 32-bit
OS running on 64-bit hardware, but even if the compilation worked, the
result will not use the full CPU capability. And second, recompiling or
not, memory management in general is much more efficient, because larger
chunks can be moved in single operations.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
http://linuxsynth.ponderworthy.com