Re: [LAU] Audiophile 24/96 volume weirdness

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 22:13:51 EET

On 16/02/13 18:56, Len Ovens wrote:

>> Interestingly, the Hardware Settings tab says "Unable to read IEC958
>> Input Status: No such file or directory", but I've never had any
>> problems with the SPDIF out from the Focusrite/SPDIF input on the 24/96.
>
> That sounds like a driver problem, as if it is not detecting the correct
> card.

And yet the SPDIF in works fine in spite of the input error message,
it's just the SPDIF out that doesn't work.

> I use s/pdif for some of my inputs, so I tend to test it with each
> new kernel (at least the ubuntu ones) and I have not had this problem with
> my D66. Here is the blurb from the kernel module:
> ---------------------------8<---------------------------------
> Module snd-ice1712
> ------------------
>
> Module for Envy24 (ICE1712) based PCI sound cards.
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta 1010
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta 1010LT
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta DiO 2496
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta 66
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta 44
> * MidiMan M Audio Delta 410
> * MidiMan M Audio Audiophile 2496
> * TerraTec EWS 88MT
> * TerraTec EWS 88D
> * TerraTec EWX 24/96
> * TerraTec DMX 6Fire
> * TerraTec Phase 88
> * Hoontech SoundTrack DSP 24
> * Hoontech SoundTrack DSP 24 Value
> * Hoontech SoundTrack DSP 24 Media 7.1
> * Event Electronics, EZ8
> * Digigram VX442
> * Lionstracs, Mediastaton
> * Terrasoniq TS 88
>
> model - Use the given board model, one of the following:
> delta1010, dio2496, delta66, delta44, audiophile,
> delta410, delta1010lt, vx442, ewx2496, ews88mt,
> ews88mt_new, ews88d,
> dmx6fire, dsp24, dsp24_value, dsp24_71, ez8,
> phase88, mediastation
>
> omni - Omni I/O support for MidiMan M-Audio Delta44/66
>
> cs8427_timeout - reset timeout for the CS8427 chip (S/PDIF transceiver)
> in msec resolution, default value is 500 (0.5 sec)
>
> This module supports multiple cards and autoprobe. Note: The consumer
> part is not used with all Envy24 based cards (for example in the
> MidiMan Delta series).
>
> Note: The supported board is detected by reading EEPROM or PCI
> SSID (if EEPROM isn't available). You can override the
> model by passing "model" module option in case that the
> driver isn't configured properly or you want to try another
> type for testing.
> -------------------------------8<------------------------------
> I would try model=audiophile first (I am assuming that is what you have),
> but delta44 may work as well. The IEC958 Input Status should be either
> "Input Active" or "No Signal Detected". Anything else is either a mudita
> bug or a kernel module bug/misconfiguration. Considering you s/pdif is not
> working I would suspect the later.
>
> In ubuntu I think the right place to play with module params would be
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, but I am not sure about other distros.
>
> For testing you should be able to just modprobe -r snd-ice1712 and then
> modprobe snd-ice1712 model=audiophile or whatever. I don't know if the
> cs8427_timeout would help in your case or not. In my case things just work
> with no param added. You would have to restart mudita every time I
> think... probably stop mudita before removing the module and restart after

I don't know if it counts for anything, but the card shows up correctly
as M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 in Qjackctl.

When I tried modprobe -r it said "FATAL: Module snd_ice1712 is in use"
but adding with the model type worked fine. I didn't have Mudita running
whilst doing either of these.

I found the alsa-base.conf file, but I wouldn't know what to start
fiddling with. There's no mention in there of snd_ice1712 though, dunno
whether that's indicative of anything.

Many thanks