Re: [LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2013 - 19:06:05 EET

El miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013, Len Ovens escribió:

> [...]
>
> joet@email-addr-hidden:~$ ps x
> PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> 3784 ? S 0:00 sshd: joet@email-addr-hidden/0
> 3785 pts/0 Ss 0:00 -bash
> 3886 pts/0 S 0:03 xfce4-panel
> 3890 pts/0 S 0:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch
>>

>> Nice report. Some time ago I've been thinking something similar but with
>> no PC but just portable solutions: one of the choices was a combination of
>> Raspberry for audio (RaspMusix, I'm working in), that would be your head
>
> cc2b7c64cc6292515b70bed80000
> 3891 ? Ss 0:00 //bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
> --print-addres
> 3893 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd
> 3909 pts/0 R+ 0:00 ps x
>
> Yup, 6 things. The idea is to use two computers. Some of the mini atom MBs
> would easily fit two in one case and still use no fans and one PS. They
> all have Gb networking, so a small switch between them is all that is
> needed. This assumes a single audio card with enough channels for whatever
> you are doing, either pci, USB or (with a pci(e) FW card) FW.
>
> One computer is headless and never runs X, though it would have most of
> the x libs anyway. All of the audio SW would be installed on this machine.
> I only used xfce4-panel because it was already there (it's running
> ubuntustudio in real life sitting at the login screen). The panel has been
> cleared of all applets except for the main menu and shrunk to fit. I am
> not sure if this is enough, some people may need a systray as well. The
> panel seems to launch dbus for me too (good). The main thing is that it
> gives me a menu for that machine where the apps it launches all inherit
> the same dbus info and display. An ncurses based menu could work just as
> well. and there are other panels or docks which would also work.
>
> The second computer can run any linux or BSD or anything else so long as
> it has an xserver (even windows I think can have an xserver). It does not
> matter what video card you use, because you can run a generic kernel that
> the driver is made to run on. You don't have to think about interrupts or
> anything like that. Pulse run on this machine will not affect jack in any
> way. Rather than bother with figuring out a pulse-jack bridge, connect
> line out from the head board to the line of the audio board and vise versa
> and use zita-a2j and zita-j2a to add them to jack.
>
> My machines are not the best trial. I am using wireless networking (b
> version with max 11M, but most often less) but even with 100M there is
> some lag, though it doesn't effect the audio at all. Gb net would probably
> be good enough though.
>
> affects latency? yup. jack running -p16 -r 48000, guitarix on top. very
> few Xruns, with the DE on the same machine I had 1000s/minute. No mouse/kb
> irqs, no video irqs, Makes this old P4/2.4G sing. I'll have to try dual
> heading the gui box (aspire one netbook).
>
> So far I think this is a better solution than running the audio across the

Nice report, Len.

Since time ago I've been thinking about implementing something similar but
with no PC but just portable solutions:
one of the choices was a combination of Raspberry for audio (RaspMusix, I'm
working in), that would be your headless/audio component; and some phone,
tablet or touchscreen where I can monitor parameters, play a virtual
keyboard and rule the other component, whether it'd be connected (wifi or
direct ethernet cable) to its X server or simply running scripts/commands
via ssh, or sending MIDI / OSC...

A convenient add would be any decent audio interface that is supported on
the audio componente, it would help save resources and would improve audio
quality, and maybe it would have a monitor out for headphones or speakers.

My two cents.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux