Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2013 - 01:01:53 EET

Am 06.02.2013 15:32, schrieb cunnilinux himself:
>>> 2) WORKING VST support
>>
>> ambiguous, typical for stupid users ... do they mean "i want to run plugins
>> written for another operating system" or "plugin developers start to support
>> linux"
>
> usually they mean to leech a thousand of instruments/plugins from the
> internet, fiddling around with them for some time and making a track
> from the results. then the cycle repeats.
>
> AFAIK, this is the primary way of making electronic music (or parts) nowadays.

Maybe, but statistics do not say much about results here. As of now we
have an album going top-10 here in Germany that was recorded using an
8-track tape recorder and not a single digital plug-in involved.

OK, its not electronic music but guitar-rock but you may agree, that 99%
of guitar-rock albums nowadays are in fact produced using a computer
running one of the usual brands of DAWs for Mac or Windows right?

And there is only 1 % of any music produced going top-10 and not much
more is worthwhile listening to(and in most cases the 1% top-10 is not
the same as the 1% worthwhile...).

In my humble opinion any method capable of producing interesting music
is good enough. If an 8-track tape recorder is capable to produce an
album that is both top-10 *and* worth the time listening to it, then
Ardour + Linux + native plug-ins should be capable to produce even a
wider range of interesting music, is it not?

But anyway I think we should stop preaching the obvious to the statistic
average and just try to inform *musicians* that are searching for new
methods to produce outstanding art about the fact, that a Linux-system
could be the very method they are searching for. And being different
while still reaching for industry-standards in quality could be wise to
attract such searchers.

Linux audio systems are not recognized on the market because there is no
company that takes a few dozen millions to push it in the market. So is
desktop-linux and tablet-linux and smartphone-linux. All of this works
just great, often better that the competition from Apple or Microsoft
but free software systems *do not compete*, because competition means
grabbing the market by means of dollars, billions of them. Apple invests
more money in the poster-ads shown in the streets of one major city than
the Linux Audio Users invest in the programming of Ardour in a year.
Making the better product is just the first step and not the most
important. And there is no such thing as a "free market", markets are
ruled by companies holding market shares by means of marketing.

What about that: who says, that there is not a young girl in the
highlands of Kenia, that runs a Marathon faster than anyone ever
enlisted for the Olympics? But she cannot enlist, because she does not
have a sponsor covering the costs....

That will be it. I keep using the software I know working for me just
great and everybody who asks me will get recommendation, fair warnings
and advice. But I do not complain anymore, that most people out there go
with the market.

best regards

HZN