Re: [LAU] Issues with JACK

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 04 2013 - 15:44:44 EET

On 03/04/2013 12:26 PM, Gabbe Nord wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I don't have hyperthreading, atleast there's nothing about that in bios.
> It's a dekstop computer though.
> Hmm, alarming! I do use both USB keyboard and USB mouse. My soundcard is
> also USB. I do have alot of other devices plugged in aswell to my USB. Is
> there any way I can fix this, other then getting "real" plugs for the USB
> keyboard/mouse? Like I said, there's still a couple of devices that uses
> USB even if I get rid of the mouse/keyboard.

Like Len already suggested, try it with a PCIe USB card. Another option
is to have your interface on one USB port and the rest on the other and
then prioritize the port with the interface, this can be done with rtirq
by adding 'ehci_hcd:usb1' to the RTIRQ_NAME_LIST in /etc/default/rtirq

> @ Jeremy "So the xruns are not completely gone? And what if you force the
> Lexicon to only use 2 ins and outs with -i2 -o2? Could you also post your
> jackd command (run JACK and check with ps -eo cmd | grep [j]ackd)":
> No, not completely gone. Running a project now that has ~70% cpu load
> (never goes above that), and that gives atleast 4-5 pops each second. It's
> not inaudible, but it's very prominent. That command told me something like
> "/some/path/jackdbus auto" which I figure isn't of much help? I start jack
> through Cadence, so I don't know how to extract the command from that
> really =(.

Hmmm, bummer. And I don't use Cadence myself. Does it create a .jackdrc
file? If so could you post the output of
cat $HOME/.jackdrc

Jeremy

> I will try forcing the use of 2 ins and 2 outs!
>
> Also, the MIDI issue turns out to atleast 1st be a problem with either the
> keyboard or the actual soundcard. I suspect the keyboard, it has been
> messing with me before. Gotta crack it open and take a look.... =/
>
> Anyway, thanks for all help! I really need this working, if the pops can go
> away for this I'll have a golden production environment =).
>
> Cheers,
> Gabriel
>

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, March 3, 2013 6:29 am, Gabbe Nord wrote:
>>> Hello Jeremy, and thank you so much for your reply!
>>>
>>> I disabled SpeedStep in BIOS, and it helped a little, thanks!
>>
>> Also hyperthreading? if you have only one cpu you may have to disable cpu1
>> in the boot command line if the bios doesn't allow this.
>>
>>> Here's my
>>> interrupts:
>>>
>>> zth@email-addr-hidden:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
>>> CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3
>>> 0: 43 0 1 1 IO-APIC-edge
>> timer
>>> 1: 3 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge
>> i8042
>>> 8: 1 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
>>> 9: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
>>> 12: 4 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge
>> i8042
>>> 23: 412535 22606 20 25 IO-APIC-fasteoi
>>> ehci_hcd:usb1, ehci_hcd:usb2
>>
>> This is not great, both USB are on the same irq. do you use a USB mouse or
>> KB? That could cause problems. If you have the plugs for mouse and KB use
>> them even if you need adapters. Some bios let you tell the bios not to set
>> irqs for the USB or video. That might help as Linux seems to be a bit more
>> inteligent at doing it. In the end usb1 and usb2 may be hardwired to the
>> same irq. That probably means you can only use one of them.
>>
>> Laptop or desktop? in either case a USB card may help.
>>
>>> 41: 12871 435 437 292 PCI-MSI-edge ahci
>>> 42: 0 0 0 0 PCI-MSI-edge
>>> xhci_hcd
>>> 43: 67 9 3 8 PCI-MSI-edge eth0