Re: [LAU] What's this? A fancy website?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 14:45:53 EET

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 11:27 +0100, Atte wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 11:00 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > On 03/11/2013 03:29 AM, J. Liles wrote:
> >> When did Linux Audio get so ****ing fancy?
> >>
> >> Well, never one to be outdone, I've given the Non website a facelift:
> >> http://non.tuxfamily.org.
> >>
> >> Enjoy!
> >>

> > Looking good !
>
> Actually, looking *very* good!

Some homepages colour combinations make it hard to read on tube
monitors, at least if you prefer to use the computer in bright, colorful
rooms. Regarding to what's looking good, design is a matter of taste, so
people should be free to ignore even basic rules for design, but
regarding to accessibility it would be nice, if you would take care
about a minimum of rules. How about an easy to see button on top of the
websites, to switch to another color theme?

Perhaps not everybody is aware hat e.g. Firefox does provide View >
Page Style > No Style to toggle between the page's style and no page
style, unfortunately this also could have impact to the order of the
content. For e.g. Firefox it's possible to set the preferences, to use
custom colours, then the order of the content isn't touched, but it's
not possible to toggle between the original color themes and the custom
color theme on the quick.

I'm aware that many people today use dark themes for their desktops and
that they don't care, if for some apps, some font colours even have
_exactly_ the same colour as the background, so minimal contrast for
them might be already an improvement, but to make text readable,
contrast should be a little bit harder than dark grey on nearly or full
black.

OT: For different lighting conditions I would like to have a dark and
light theme for Xfce, it's easy to get a usable light theme, but until
now I haven't seen one dark theme that is ok. They all provide equal
colours for background and fonts for some areas.

2 Cents,
Ralf