Re: [LAU] spectrum analyzer to visualize harmonics

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 14:25:59 EET

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 05:55:16PM -0700, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> >I've tried JAAA but it's not much user-friendly and there's no manual.

The README explains how to use the controls. It's minimal but everything
essential is in there.

> JAAA is for making precise engineering measurements and doesn't take
> into account how your ears work.

In this case (measuring harmonics) it shouldn't take your ears
into account. JAAA has a linear F axis, this is ideal for seeing
harmonics as they are all equally spaced.

> >I'd like to visualize the harmonics produced by a guitar string.
> >How can I achieve what I see in this screenshot?
> >http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/jaaa-pict.html
>
> Well, that screenshot is showing a peak around 26kHz... way above
> what you can hear. And the range you're interested in is all
> squashed on the left-hand side of the screen between 0 and 2.5kHz.

22.6678 kHz actually. It's trivial to zoom in on the range of interest,
see the second picture.

* Click on Frequency:Max, then either:

  1. type the max frequency into the text entry + ENTER,
  2. or use the '<' and '>' buttons.
  3. or use the mouse wheel.
  4. or position the mouse near the right edge, and move it
     to the left while holding the right mouse button.

All parameters (the current one lights up in yellow) can be modified by
(1,2,3). Dragging the mouse (4) is possible only for the frequency and
amplitude ranges.

You'll also want to reduce the bandwidth. Click on Analyser:Bandw,
and use e.g. the mouse wheel to change it while you play some notes.

When all is set up as desired, play some notes and click 'Freeze' at
the right time. It's still possible to change the F and A ranges, set
and change markers etc. while the display is frozen.

Ciao,

--
FA