Re: [LAU] Raspberry Pi and real-time, low-latency audio

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 13 2013 - 13:55:12 EET

On 03/13/2013 12:01 PM, Atte wrote:
> Interesting!
>
> Am I right it's only $25?
>
> How about compiling software on the arm, is is possible to compile and
> run stuff like ams, fluidsynth, pd, csound, sooperlooper, freewheelin
> and such on raspberrypi?
>
> How's the quality of the onboard audiocard? Is there also audio in?

Hello Atte,

The Model A is $25 yes. But that model comes without an ethernet
connection. All the software you mention runs on the Raspberry Pi and no
need to compile it because packages are available in the default repos
of the distros that are available for the RPi (Debian, Arch, Fedora).
Don't expect great performance, especially GUI driven software might be
problematic. pd should be no issue though, Miller Puckette even released
a SD card image specifically for the RPi. If you want to compile newer
versions, that's possible too, but something like guitarix already takes
hours to compile natively.
The Raspberry Pi has no audio in and the quality of the audio out is not
really HiFi, it's actually 11bit. Also because the kernel module for the
onboard soundchip has no ALSA mmap support you can't use it directly
with JACK.
Audio out (and in) is easy to solve though with a $3 USB audio
interface. I'm awaiting a Behringer UCG102 clone that I'd like to use
with the RPi which would solve both the audio in and out issues too.
I've also ordered a HDMI to DVI cable with a separate audio output just
to test if the output of such a cable would be usable.

Jeremy