Re: [LAU] [Channel Linux - Feedback]

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 16 2013 - 10:36:11 EET

On Sat, March 16, 2013 1:43 am, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 15.03.2013 14:34, schrieb Patrick Shirkey:
>>
>> On Sat, March 16, 2013 12:00 am, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>>>
>>> The page works for me without any extra-install requests in
>>> Firefox/Ubuntu 12-04 after I allowed some 12 other pages to spawn
>>> content on it using NoScript.
>>>

>> I forgot to mention that the site relies explicitly on jquery to do all
>> the fun stuff. I have some other requests for a noscript version of the
>> site
>
> I think, that jquery is near-inevitible nowadays and I think, that is OK
> as long as it is used properly and as long as the page degrades
> gracefully...
>
>> and I am looking into the best way to enable that while also
>> retaining the more "game" like functionality of the randomiser
>> (Roulette)
>> system.
>
> Such a function would be the last I would do in JS. I mean, that is all
> about, what content is to be delivered to the visitor no? So I would use
> a system, that runs on the server to assemble the list of stuff, that is
> to land in the visitors browser...
> Python, Perl even or... Run for the hills!! PHP

I use PHP/JSON for the backend on this site.

Funnily enough the busiest website in the world also uses PHP. How weird
is that?

>>> Anyway *if* the page would be worked out right, it could be OK for a
>>> media-page that akkumulates from other pages. But w3c says:
>>>
>>> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fchannellinux.com%2F
>>>
>>> and that is *not* acceptable anymore.
>>
>> Thanks for reminding me. All those errors are harmless. A few end tags
>> missing "/"'s in the header section (easily fixed) and the majority of
>> the
>> other errors come from the external scripts which I have no control of.
>
> Yes, I have given in trying to correct Google and the like, when you
> need Maps or external Videos, you cannot get a perfect result anymore...
>

>> I understand that some people are adverse to social media
>
> As long as it is not irritating in design and not laced with the
> commonly used bullshit *in the articles*, I do not see a real problem
> with "social media"
>

>> but the whole
>> point of the site is to be social and share the information as much as
>> possible to build as much traffic as possible so that we can make money
>> from advertising and use that revenue to pay people to create high
>> quality
>> content on a regular basis so in this case the naysayers are going to be
>> left behind to a certain degree unfortunately ;-)
>>

>>> Plus: the design is a complete mess. To have a banner blocking the
>>> sight
>>> on a video is not even amateurish, regardless if the banner is a
>>> newsfeed.
>>>

>> Can you send me a screenshot offlist please? I am not seeing what you
>> describe here as a problem. It is by design that the ticker would
>> overlap
>> just a little but maybe you have a very tiny screen and it is taking up
>> more room?
>
> I have a 1368x768 Laptop screen(Lenovo ideapad) The ticker overlaps
> about 40px of the two videos in the second row.

Thanks. I'll tweak that, it shouldn't be overlapping the controls.

>>> My proposition: cut it down to something simple and most of all: let
>>> the
>>> visitors choose, what source of video they would like to see, do not
>>> load all available...
>>>

>> By source do you mean let the viewer choose between ogv, webm, h264,
>> etc...? Can you elaborate please?
>
> No, by source I mean, if they want to see a stream from a YT-channel or
> from anywhere else...

Do you mean having a "tuner" so they can choose to have just
youtube/vimeo/flash/non-affiliated, etc...?

I'll think about that. It's not a bad idea for adding more interactivity.

>> FYI, I haven't tried to process the individual media that I have
>> included
>> in the playlists for multiple encodings. That is a bit more effort than
>> am prepared to commit to at this early stage of development.
>
> I would find that quite hard a task also...
>
> I mean: if the publisher of a Linux-related video chooses some weired
> format not viewable in a out-of-the-box Linux with say VLC and Mplayer
> installed...
>
> Maybe filtering those vendors would be the better choice...

I think we could do better than excluding media simply because some people
might not be able to view it. We definitely have the hardware and skillz
to do the transcoding that would be necessary to make the content
available to anyone in any format. I'm just not sure it is the best way to
handle the problem. Perhaps it should be made clearer to producers that if
they want their content distributed there are a few formats that are more
widely acceptable. For example ogv will definitely work on a "Linux"
community channel. Anyone who doesn't have that will need to sort their
end out.

Another thing I could do is add an icon to let the viewer know what format
the media associated with the button is so they don't waste their time
clicking only to be told they don't have all the codecs/plugins that they
needs to view it. It keeps a certain element of surprise without
sacrificing it completely.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd