Re: [LAU] [Channel Linux - Feedback]

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Mar 16 2013 - 10:50:34 EET

On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 19:36 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I think we could do better than excluding media simply because some people
> might not be able to view it. We definitely have the hardware and skillz
> to do the transcoding that would be necessary to make the content
> available to anyone in any format. I'm just not sure it is the best way to
> handle the problem. Perhaps it should be made clearer to producers that if
> they want their content distributed there are a few formats that are more
> widely acceptable. For example ogv will definitely work on a "Linux"
> community channel. Anyone who doesn't have that will need to sort their
> end out.

It should be made clear that Linux isn't a replacement for Windows as
e.g. DR-DOS was a replacement for MS-DOS.

Perhaps my Firefox does bitch about missing pulgins, because it guess
flash is needed, but it isn't, the videos can be played without flash
and also without gnash.

If people do expect flash or some exotic win codec to show their video,
than IMO they should stay away from Linux.

More acceptance for Linux? Yes.

Linux as a replacement for Windows or as a Windows emulator? No.

IIUC your target is to make Linux more popular as it's own OS and not to
make it a replacement for Windows or a Windows emulator.

If people want Windows crap, why should they use Linux? Windows can do
Windows things much better than Linux can do Windows things.