Re: [LAU] Autologin to locked desktop was: Re: LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 18 2013 - 18:48:35 EET

On Mon, March 18, 2013 7:37 am, drew Roberts wrote:

> Perhaps what would be nice for some is to autologin a particular user
and
> go
> straight to a locked desktop with a screensaver.
> Does anyone know how to do this or the equivalent?

Warning!! This will require hand editing a file... suggest vi or emacs ;)

All kidding aside, for xfce (Xubuntu or UbuntuStudio where this seems to
have started) lets do it the gui way :) The settings manager has a
selection in the system area called "Session and Startup". This has a
dialog that pops up so choose the "Application Autostart" tab. There is an
"Add" button at the bottom, it pops up a small dialog...

Name: set to "Start Session Locked".

feel free to give a better description).

Command: xscreensaver-command -lock

Submit that... Ok that took about as much time to figure out as it took to
type it all in. Let me test it now :)

xscreensaver-command runs too soon and I get:
xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
in ~/.xsession-errors

Ok, try:
sleep 5; xscreensave-command -lock

It seems that whatever is running the command line does not know what ;
means :P

What does work:
bash -c "sleep 2s ; xscreensaver-command -lock;"

And yes, even with 2 seconds delay, at least on my machine, the
workstation is locked before the ui is fully up... that is, no menu is yet
available.

Yes this is probably more than non-CLI literate users can figure out on
their own.

c-a-f* still works, but the VTs require a password anyway.

No I will not be adding this option to UbuntuStudio or suggesting it to
the Xubuntu team. (feel free to do so yourself) The only advantage to this
I can see is a shorter time from password to use. Could be a pain on
machines with more than one user.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net