Re: [LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 18 2013 - 18:38:14 EET

On Monday 18 March 2013 12:25:29 Louigi Verona did opine:

> "Louigi, your presence on this list is normally both educational, and to
> the point, and I'm sure is appreciated by all here, I know I do. That
> is why I am rather surprised to see you espousing near zero security."
>
> My message had nothing to do with security. It had to do with the fact
> that many
> things on Linux are not GUI-based and thus difficult to figure out.
>
> Someone pointed out an option in Settings. However, it is not an
> autologin option,
> it is an option to not ask for a password. It will still require you to
> click "Login".
>
> I said it above, I'll repeat - in all seriousness, there can't be one
> reason why
> Linux is not mainstream. There can be a multitude of reasons. My point,
> I think,
> is clear - many things on Linux are often hard to do and you bump into
> them more often than on Windows. And it is certainly one of the
> reasons.
>
> L.V.

I would agree with the difficulty thing, Louigi, particularly for someone
used to the windows koolaid. And I wouldn't disagree with the basic idea
of being able to do it with a gui. But, if that is how its moving, to be
restricted to only what the gui can do, then obviously I've lived too long
already. I have yet to find a gui that can do as many things, or as much
damage, as I can do here with a copy of vim or gedit.

OTOH, if something like that was setup so /ONLY/ the gui could modify it,
and that gui can't be exported with the likes of an ssh -Y session, or to a
VNC of some sort, then the ability of the black hats to own the machine
would have a much higher fence to climb.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
BOFH excuse #5:
static from plastic slide rules
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...