[LAU] State of Linux - was - LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 20 2013 - 17:07:05 EET

On Wed, March 20, 2013 12:57 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> The paradox, I guess, is in the fact that mainstream Linux means -
> hardware
> compatibility.
> What people usually want is hardware compatibility and Linux as it is.
> Which is impossible, since hardware compatibility will most likely make
> Linux more mainstream.
>
> Imagine that we click our fingers and instantly Linux is compatible with
> 90% of hardware. It is
> going to be used by more and more people very quickly.

That would take a generic linux, something the big players (ones with
money and who make money supporting linux) are working hard on. As a user
of a derivative of Ubuntu, my hope is that this generic Linux doesn't make
the uses I want to do impossible. In this generic Linux, support is
important and that means locking out user changes.

Speaking of which. Where is ALSA at? Where is firewire support? or
bluetooth support? If there is one area I would like to see more
developers that would be it. Jack supports more than ALSA with FW and
pulse (much as it is hated) supports BT audio that alsa doesn't.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net