Re: [LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 21 2013 - 16:11:42 EET

On Thursday 21 March 2013 04:08:26 Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Hi Drew!
>
> Seems we're working on similar projects right now.
>
> I don't see why anyone would want to use x11vnc when there is vnc4server
> (which is in the Debuntu repos).

The plan is for the box to be used in a regular fashion with X11 locally. The
x11vnc part is only for troubleshooting where occasionally necessary. Can
your suggestions hook into an existing desktop properly? (I normally just use
tightvnc for regular remote type uses.)

> Other distros such as Fedora are using
> TigerVNC now as the default for VNC I see although I've not tried TigerVNC
> yet so I can't say how that compares to x11vnc and vnc4. I've not even
> bothered trying TightVNC as I've heard a few people say vnc4server is more
> stable than TightVNC. I get a greatly superior desktop update framerate
> under vnc4server over x11vnc.

If this becomes a major issue I can look into options. This is not intended
for daily use though.

> There is also NX free and x2go but neither are
> in the Deb repos and desktop sharing doesn't work out of the box on either
> or at least it didn't work for me and we needed that.
>
> We tried Rivendell but deemed it unsuitable for our needs. Rivendell must
> be one of the last active projects still using QT3.

IIRC, there is a QT4 port underway but I don't think it is rushed. Not payig
close attention.

> Its interface is indeed
> archaic looking and its functionality is spread over several different
> apps.

This is not a problem for us. The automation software suite we use in house
now operates in a similar fashion.

> It isn't intuitive to me and I'm used to decoding alpha Linux apps so
> forget about teaching it the non-techie hosts.

We all seem to get it fine. But most around here other than me have radio
backgrounds.

> It looks like we've settled
> on a combo of IDJC, Skype, vnc4, jack_mixer (or similar) and Liquidsoap or
> mpd for handling the non-live playlists.

Good luck with your plans.

all the best,

drew