Re: [LAU] Kazam screencast [WAS: LightWorks for Linux Demo]

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2013 - 16:17:30 EET

On Fri, March 22, 2013 1:31 am, david wrote:
>>> Just as aside, please don't confuse Ubuntu and Debian, although Ubuntu
>>> is based on Debian there are enough subtle differences between the two
>>> to cause incompatibilities, e.g. mixing packages, assuming the
>>> documentation applies equally to Debian as well as Ubuntu.
>
> Hmmm, I use Debian Sid and use some Ubuntu PPAs with it. I've used
> Debian packages on Ubuntu. Didn't have compatibility problems. But
> probably wasn't doing anything ambitious.

Most packages carry straight over and use the same source package. The
ones to watch out for are the ones ubuntu uses to advertise or preadd
bookmarks like firefox or xchat. Also system services will be different...
so grabbing jackd2 may grab dbus as a dep for example which may try to
install upstart as that is unique to ubuntu. So make sure the deps are
covered with debian packages before installing a ubuntu package. Also, a
lot of ubuntu packages in the main repo are what debian would call
experimental.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net