Re: [LAU] Kazam screencast [WAS: LightWorks for Linux Demo]

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 23 2013 - 07:51:05 EET

On 03/22/2013 04:17 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, March 22, 2013 1:31 am, david wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, I use Debian Sid and use some Ubuntu PPAs with it. I've used
>> Debian packages on Ubuntu. Didn't have compatibility problems. But
>> probably wasn't doing anything ambitious.
>
> Most packages carry straight over and use the same source package. The
> ones to watch out for are the ones ubuntu uses to advertise or preadd
> bookmarks like firefox or xchat. Also system services will be different...
> so grabbing jackd2 may grab dbus as a dep for example which may try to
> install upstart as that is unique to ubuntu.

I get jackd2 from Debian, not Ubuntu.

> So make sure the deps are
> covered with debian packages before installing a ubuntu package. Also, a
> lot of ubuntu packages in the main repo are what debian would call
> experimental.

Need to correct a miscommunication (my fault). I don't use Ubuntu system
repositories. I use some specific Ubuntu PPAs for particular package(s)
that don't have a Debian package (for whatever reason). (Some people
seem to think that Linux is just a synonym for Ubuntu. So I'm not
risking mixing Ubuntu-specific stuff mentioned above with Debian Sid.

About what Ubuntu and Debian consider "experimental" - Debian seems (to
me) to prefer to err on the side of "better safe than sorry". So they'll
take a package's "new" official release, and treat it as some kind of
beta that needs to be extensively tested.

I have a friend who's a devotee of Debian Stable. He has one exception:
he pulls Iceweasel from Experimental so he has the latest security
fixes. I, on the other hand, replaced the Debian-branded Firefox and
Thunderbird with the real versions from Mozilla. Once installed, they
automatically update themselves.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden