Re: [LAU] 'Modular' midi controller for keyboard

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2013 - 18:31:23 EET

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 15:59 +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> >> The Nanos are powered by USB only, there is no other way of powering
> >> them. So, however you connect them up for midi, it would still have to
> >> be connected to the PC and have some sort of splitter arrangement. In
> >> the long run, it sounds a lot easier just to use midi-over-USB.
> >>
> >> The review I posted yesterday said that they draw very little power,
> >> which might be useful if power drops off over distance.
> >
> > Many USB hubs add power.
> >

> Nanokontrol > usb hub (powered) > usb to midi > soundcard / midisport,
> that would be a solution right?

3 m definitive do work and I guess 5 m should work too. I experienced
that most devices are ok with even 10 m. Perhaps I can test it this
weekend.

And no, at least the older nanoKONTROL doesn't have rotary knobs, those
knobs have a stop at the left and at the right.

And yes, you can save several scenes and you can align the knobs and
faders to controller etc., but it doesn't interact with the data for
that controllers, IOW if you have a timeline and you increase the volume
from 0 to 64 to 127 and you then rewind to re-record and want to
increase from 64 to 100 instead of 127, than you need to find the
position for 64, something that is hard to do, so you can't use it like
a real mixer or like the mouse for the faders on the display. If you
want to use it for heavy mixing you need an application that can talk to
the device and you need a device with motorized faders or rotary knobs.

You got simply incorrect information by others.