Re: [LAU] OT: what is happening with RT kernel development?

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 31 2013 - 00:33:16 EET

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> As long as you are not doing software monitoring (i.e. listening to
> what you are recording through Ardour, while recording it), you don't
> need low latency at all, and might not need anything beyond
> linux-generic.

Is this true in all cases, even when using plugins and soft-samplers?
What about if you're sending some of your audio outboard through a mixer
for processing in the hardware world?

The reason I ask is because I am doing monitoring in hardware on an RME
Multiface II, but I'm also sending some channels out to a mixer and
bringing them back. Also at the same time I'm using plugins. I've got
my Jack latency setup to show up in QJackCtl as about 5ms, but it'd be
nicer for the computer if I could use a bigger buffer and not worry
about it.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky