Re: [LAU] Terrible mic ground noise

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 12:50:52 EEST

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 09:59:11PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> You are getting sound from your mic... therefore it must be a dynamic mic.
> It is quite possible that whatever I looked up on m-audio's website is not
> what you have. So it is not worth worrying about getting phantom power to
> it if it is working without it.

I wouldn't be so sure. Electret mics can in theory produce a tiny signal
even without power, but I don't think that's the case. More probably the
mic pics ups some signal from the amplifier/speaker by magnetic induction.

Regarding using the city water (or central heating pipes, or whatever) as
a security ground: DON'T DO THAT. It would be illegal in almost all places,
and you could easily kill or injure yourself or others if anything goes wrong.

Ciao,

--
FA