[LAU] Audio mixer using a raspberry-pi and some external audio card

From: Roberto Suarez Soto <talkingxouba@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 16:58:27 EEST

Hi,

        I don't know if what I'm going to ask makes sense or is terribly stupid.
Don't be too harsh on me if it's the latter, please :-)

        I've got two audio "outputs" (headphones and a 4.1 set of speakers) and two
audio "inputs" (a computer and a TV). In an ideal world, I'd be able to switch
between them with some sort of device: let's say I'm watching a film through
the speakers but it's getting late and I want to switch to the headphones. Or
I'm done with the TV and I want to do something with the computer, and want to
listen to that instead.

        I don't know what kind of devices are used in the real world to do this, but
to me it looks quite similar to what we do with Jack. So I thought that with
some small Linux-capable device (hence the Raspberry-pi) and some external
audio card (with two inputs and two outputs; or maybe even two different
external cards, each one with one input and output), you should be able to
build a DYI audio mixer for not-so-much money. You could ssh into it and use
qjackctl or the like to adjust inputs and outputs.

        Am I completely off-mark, or is this a viable/common/established thing?

        Thanks in advance,

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto                     Hurt me plenty