Re: [LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 17:33:14 EEST

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 15:34 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> In the test I saw the same guy played the same lick on both guitars
> using the same pickup configuration.

Yes, but I try to explain that the Stratocaster became successful by
some musicians, e.g. Jimi Hendrix and I'm sure every guitarist would
notice, if Hendrix would play a Flying V, the guitar Hendrix preferred,
but never or seldom used on recordings. If you would make an ABX test
people wouldn't notice differences that are audible, even if those
differences are different instruments. Btw. it's not always possible to
hear the difference between a single coil and a humbucker, but for the
averaged Hendrix sound it would be noticeable.

What I want to point out is, that those tests are null and void, people
without experiences don't listen to single instrument lines, so they
won't notice missing early reflections for a hi hat or something
similar, caused by a codec. Experienced people will hear a difference.

> Your car can probably do 140 mph even though you never go that fast.
> Being able to use the card in 192 kHz probably doesn't cost that much
> extra for the manufacturer and I guess the marketing department really
> loves being able to use it in the advertising.

Yes, it's the second sentence :D
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php .

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 09:27 -0400, Bill Gribble wrote:
> higher sample rates for recording and processing do help with the
> aliasing effects caused by non-oversampled implementations of software
> synthesizers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency ?

Regards,
Ralf