Re: [LAU] price vs. sound - was - What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 17:35:57 EEST

On 04/02/2013 04:15 PM, Daniel Worth wrote:

> I actually like the sound of the guitars I have made in Quebec
> that are
> sub $500 over some more expensive acoustics.
>

> I've played and owned a large variety of high end, and low end, gear,
> and beyond a certain price point it isn't about sound anymore. I have
> a Gibson Les Paul Custom worth about $2700 and I never take it out of
> the case because I'm afraid It'll get scratched, that guitar is a
> piece of art, my other electric was a $600 strat copy I got 15 years
> ago and it still sounds and plays amazing. I also owned a $1500 Taylor
> 814ce and I prefer my $300 Epiphone. My brother in-law plays custom
> built guitars int the $4000 range and I can till out play him on a
> pawn shop guitar any day of the week. Given the choice between a
> functional great sounding instrument that I can drag to a gig or up
> around a campfire or the worlds most lusted after instrument I'd go
> with the budget gear and enjoy the hell out of it, I bet no one ever
> got drunk around a camp fire deep in the Rocky Mountains with a
> Stradivarius and had the best time of their life.

Generally I agree. I was honestly surprised to find the sweet spot for
classical guitars to be so high in price. I expected machining to have
gotten so much better in the last decades that factory built low-medium
end classical guitars would hold up sound wise to hand built classicals.
But to my dismay I found it not to be true. For campfire trips I still
take my 250 euro yamaha classical though..

Flo

--
Florian Paul Schmidt
http://fps.io